A Standard visitor is a category within visit visas that allows an applicant to travel to the UK for a short period of time. The time period could be up to 6 months. Any overseas visitor who wants to travel to the UK to meet your family, pursue a short course, attend workshops and seminars, conduct research within your field, get medical assistance in the UK or donate an organ, must apply through the Standard visitor visa.
Restrictions on a standard visitor visa
The following are permitted activities one can do on a standard visitor visa:
- Do any kind of paid or unpaid work for a UK company
- Start working as a self-employed person
- Claim and access the public funds
- Make frequent visits to the UK and stay longer than usual
- Pursue a course for study longer than 6 months
- Register a civil partnership or get married.
Eligibility requirements to meet
- You will be required to leave the UK at the end of your visit
- You have money to bear the cost of your journey to the UK and come back.
- You must be able to sustain yourself and any of your dependents during your trip to the UK
- You must not make frequent visits and stay in the UK for long
- you can furnish evidence of any business or other activities you want to do in the UK
Documents to upload for standard visitor visa applications
- The intention of the trip to the UK
- Dates and details of your travel the dates you’re planning to travel to the UK
- Cost of the travel expense
- Details of your accommodation
- The annual income of the visa holder
- Current address and contact details
- Duration of your stay in the UK
- Name of dependants and family members details.
- Any previous criminal offence committed.
Documents for specific-activities
Specific documents in the following cases:
- Overseas study or research documents.
- Verified medical treatment documents
- Verified details of organ donor and recipient.
- Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE)
- Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) test.
During the time of application, it is also required for you to book an appointment at a visa application center for biometric screening. Your biometric information will be processed, that is, your photograph and fingerprints will be taken. You must attend the appointment and get your biometric residence card or permit.
How long will it take?
The application could take up to 3 weeks before you hear back from the Home Office.
Once you are granted your visa, you can stay for up to 6 months in the UK.
What if a Standard visitor visa is refused?
The visa is likely to get refused if the visa applicant is incapable of providing correct information or the intentions to visit the UK were made unclear during the interview. Even though the visa application is refused, the visa applicant can file for a Judicial review process with the help of the best immigration lawyers in London. The review can only take place if the decision has been made against the humanitarian rights of the visa applicant.