The heart is the most essential and crucial organ of the body that is required for survival. When the heart fails to provide enough oxygen and blood to other body organs, it is referred to as heart failure. With advanced research and technologies, the treatment for heart failure is far better today. You can find the best cardiologist in Pune with Bajaj Finserv Health that provides effective heart failure treatment.
Heart failure can either be acute or chronic, i.e., short-term or long-term. It can affect either the heart’s right side, left side, or both sides simultaneously. In many people, heart failure results in difficulty pumping and supplying adequate blood to other body organs. Some people with heart failure may experience stiffening and hardening of the heart muscle, where the blood cannot flow or reach the heart.
Acute heart failure is a short-term heart disease, where symptoms are observed at early stages and go away quickly. On the other hand, in chronic heart failure, symptoms continue and do not show any improvements.
As heart failure is a critical condition, early treatment is essential. It increases the chances of recovering with very few complications.
Heart Failure Symptoms
When heart failure happens, it also affects the kidney’s regular function. It interferes with the process of eliminating waste products and sodium from the body. Below are some common symptoms of heart failure:
- Shortness of breath
- Excessive fatigue
- Irregular pulse
- Abdominal swelling
- A loss of appetite
- Heart palpitations
- Leg and ankle swelling
- Persistent coughing
- Protruding neck veins
- Sudden weight gain
If you observe such symptoms, it indicates that you need immediate treatment. You can opt for online doctor consultation with Bajaj Finserv Health if you notice the above symptoms.
Causes Of Heart Failure
Coronary Artery Disease (CAD) is considered the most common cause of heart failure. In people with CAD, the arteries that supply oxygen and blood to the heart become narrow. Other causes of heart failure are:
- A congenital heart defect
- High blood pressure
- Severe forms of anaemia
- Drug or alcohol misuse
- An underactive or overactive thyroid
- Cancer treatments, like chemotherapy
- Irregular heart rhythms or arrhythmias
Risk Factors For Heart Failure
Though heart failure can happen to anyone, certain risk factors increase the chances of developing this critical condition.
Some diseases that result in heart damage can also lead to heart failure. Such diseases are:
Besides these diseases, some behaviours can also lead to heart failure, like
- Being overweight
- Consuming high cholesterol and high-fat foods
- Living a sedentary lifestyle
Treating Heart Failure
The heart failure treatment entirely depends upon a patient’s condition. There are two methods for treating heart failure – medication and surgery.
Medication is recommended to people in the early stages of heart failure. The primary objective of this treatment is to help patients get relieved from symptoms and prevent the early phase from getting into the worse state. Different types of medications are given to:
- Reduce blood clots
- Reduce cholesterol levels
- Reduce heart rate
- Remove excess sodium and potassium levels from the body
- Boost the heart’s ability to pump blood
Many people with higher stages of heart failure have to undergo different types of surgeries, like coronary bypass surgery or angioplasty, heart transplants, pacemakers, etc.
- A healthy piece of the artery is taken out and attached to the blocked coronary artery in coronary bypass surgery. After the bypass surgery, the blood can flow to the heart through this new artery bypassing the blocked artery.
- A heart transplant is carried out in the final stages of heart failure. In this treatment type, all damaged parts of the heart are removed and replaced with healthy ones from a donor.
- Pacemakers are small devices that are implanted in the chest to regulate heart rhythms. These devices increase the heart rate if the heartbeat is slow and slows down if the heart beats too fast.
Online Doctor Consultation With Bajaj Finserv Health
Bajaj Finserv Health helps you in getting the doctor consultation through a video call at your home. The first video consultation is offered free of cost. Moreover, the prescription that the doctors prescribe will be available on the app. Therefore, you do not have to visit the hospital for the medication.
Bajaj Finserv Health is a one-stop healthcare app where you can find the best cardiologist in Pune. It offers several services, like booking appointments, finding doctors, clinics near your location, personalised healthcare plans, etc. You can download and install the app from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store.